Monday, November 19, 2012

One thing is for sure...

Have you noticed that in the past months we have had a lot of urgent prayer meetings called for our nation? I value prayer. It is part of my daily life and has had a profound affect on my life, travels and ministry. Here is the problem I have with the past few months of prayer meetings: they seem to be mostly for us!

Before the election, many churches called for "special" prayer meetings in order for God to help the direction of America, maybe even to change the results. For this I have two questions. First, shouldn't we be engaged in prayer all the time and not just for the "special" events. Over the years of ministry I have seen many casual believers become red-hot believers because of a crisis in their life. However, in many of these cases, once the crisis is past, they revert to a casual believer. I know we should call on God during pressing needs, but is it only for the quick fix and not the entire journey?


The second question is this, now that the election is over, are we equally focused on prayer or is that done until the next election cycle? Should we not be more focused on praying for these newly elected men and women as they prepare to lead our nation? America has been a great nation that has blessed the world through its giving nature. Now, more than ever, we need to pray and be willing to give.

I value the fact that I am an American. Everyday I thank God for the blessing of being born in this free country to serve as I feel and do as I want. That is a wonderful blessing not to be taken lightly. However, many people, believers and unbelievers, were born in countries that know none of the blessings I enjoy on a daily basis. Does God love them less? Of course not. For reasons we do not understand, some are born here and others are born there. God is God and He has a divine purpose in all of this.


So, what does this mean to me? "To whom much is given much is required" is a verse from Scripture that tells us we need to be faithful with everything in our possession and ability. I am accountable! Am I successful in that quest? Is there more I can do? Is my daily prayer list focused on me and mine or does it include those born in the "have-not" countries of the world?

My encouragement is to pray daily for the salvation of the world.
Directly or indirectly I desire to be a part of the great commission and reach fellow humans lost in sin and in need of a loving God. Daily, let us have special prayer for the needs of the nations. May our children grow up hearing us pray for others as much as they hear us pray for ourselves. God is a God of the universe. He always was and always will be. As we see the day approaching let us not become weary in well doing and ask the Lord God of heaven to bring salvation to the nations!

One thing is for sure, we can only work while it is day, the night comes when no one can work. Yes, it is time for prayer!

1 comment:

val said...

Awesome dad :) I totally needed to hear this at just this time! Keep preaching it!