Monday, January 14, 2013

Jeff Peterson, pastor of Central Assembly in Springfield, MO read part of St. Patrick's Breastplate Prayer this past Sunday.  This pray has some very powerful thoughts that I want to use for this blog entry.

"I rise today in heaven's might, in sun's brightness, in moon's radiance, in fire's glory, in lightning's quickness, in wind's swiftness, in sea's depth, in earth's stability, in rock's fixity.

I rise today with the power of God to pilot me, God's strength to sustain me, God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to look ahead for me, God's ear to hear me, God's word to speak for me, God's hand to protect me, God's way before me, God's shield to defend me, God's host to deliver me."

Although written 443 a.d., much before our modern conveniences and lifestyles, it still applies.  According to Statistic Brain web site, 45 % of Americans make New Years resolutions with only 8% finding success in keeping them. We try to change for the better, usually on our own strength but with limited success.

St. Patrick understood how God fit into the equation: "I rise today in heaven's might..."   There was an understanding of how God was in control of everything and that with His blessing and guidance, whatever comes our way, He will sustain us.

"I rise today with the power of God to pilot me." What a great statement to proclaim.  It is not my plan but God's. It is not in my ability or talent but His. 

I am not one of the 45% who make New Year's resolutions so I have no fear of failing.  However, I do know what success I have is not so much in me as it is in Him.  Where I am weak, He is eternally strong.  When I fail to see what's next, He has the end planned from the beginning.  Wisdom is following a proven path.  God's Word and His help is my proven path.

May our prayer today be more like St. Patrick's and less like Einstein. In July 17, I953 Einstein wrote by his own hand: "I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." 

As we journey through this new year, 2013, let us be mindful of who created us, that He has a plan designed for us and will return to claim us. 



 Finally, I am scheduling services for the coming year.  If you would like Jill and me to come and share some of our ministry with you, a home group, church or other gathering give me a call or email me at terence65@gmail.com .


No comments: