Tuesday, February 28, 2012

This story is greater than just a mouse!

During the past few weeks, I have been teaching pastors and leaders in Georgetown, Guyana. Many nights, as I rested, a little mouse came to visit my stash of food goodies on the bed table next to my head. One night, about 2:30 in the morning, Mr. Mouse was so noisy he woke me up trying to chew his way into a package of Chips Ahoy. He found success! Each day, my facebook post became an update on my little roommate. Many people read, commented and at times gave me advice on how to rid myself of this little unwanted, nighttime guest. It was an interesting diversion to my busy few weeks.

Mr. Mouse was not the real story of my trip to Georgetown however. I had the joy of teaching 29 wonderful pastor/leader students the Theology of the Holy Spirit. I did not want to limit this class only to an academic, systematic discussion but rather, express how the Holy Spirit desires to be active in each step of our journey. During the two weeks of class, a number of students acted on what they were hearing and shared testimonies of how the Holy Spirit spoke to them and led them in ministry. Here is one of the stories:

After class one afternoon, a student stopped by the hospital to visit a friend that had just had heart surgery to pray and encourage him. As they visited that day, the student felt a strong desire to speak to another patient three beds away. Trusting that it was the Holy Spirit directing this desire, he walked over to the man, introduced himself, and soon found an open door to explain Jesus and to pray with him for salvation. What an exciting afternoon that was. The student made contact with the pastor from the city the man lived in and introduced his new believing friend to the pastor so good discipleship would take place.

The next day in class, I asked him to share his story. When he finished, before I could continue with my study, a second student stood up and asked if he could address the class. With tears in his eyes he said, “I also visited the same friend at that hospital a few hours before he did and felt the same desire to share with this man in the room, but I said ‘No’ to God. I am so thankful that someone followed behind me who was faithful and also realize, the next time I feel led to speak, I will do so right away.”


I am so pleased to have stories like this the entire two weeks of our class. Pastors went to their home churches, prayed for believers who were filled with the Spirit and prayed for people to be healed or set free. It was a wonderful week of ministry in and out of class.

Jill and I have a few days home, leave on Friday to Fairfield, Ohio for three days of ministry, and then return home for four days before flying to Russia for one full month ministry in three cities. Thanks for your prayers!

P.S. I did leave Mr. Mouse in Guyana…he had no passport to travel!

2 comments:

val said...

Awesome testimonies dad! I'm glad you left mr. mouse in Guyana too :)

Anonymous said...

You are a bad friend Dr.Terence :) you should have taken Mr.Mouse with you. I am sure he's starved to death or something by now...