Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Going the Second Mile

Running has never been my thing, even before my heart attacks. Throughout my life, I have attempted to be a world-class runner, but then by the second block I realized this is not going to happen. Still I tried - often.

Today I enjoy running as much as a visit to my dentist. It is not on my list of things I desire to do. However, when your youth pastor son asks if you are willing to help raise money for “Speed the Light” in a jog-a-thon, you say “Yes”. So here I am, planning to run for my son, Alex, and a very good cause.

Speed the Light provides transportation for missionaries around the world and equipment that assists in presenting the gospel. This program provided Jill and I with transportation for 20 years of missions and we are honored to help support it through this jog-a-thon.

During this endurance run, I do not plan to set any records or huge distances; rather, I want to help raise money for STL. This is where you come in. I want your help in supporting me as I run. If it makes you feel better, I will only run for a total of two miles. That is my goal and promise. If I succeed with that, I will be thrilled.

This event is more than just a fund raising project for a good cause. To me, it is a celebration of my life. To be alive today and able to do this run is nothing short of a miracle. As I run, my mind will reflect of the great mercies of God that gives me the joy of life and time with my family. I will also be thanking God for a son who is serving as a youth pastor and a church that looks beyond their walls to the community around them.

Yes, I am going to lace up my jogging shoes and run. If you want to support me, you can send me an email with the amount you want to give for each mile. Once the big event is complete, I will tell you the total amount raised and where you can send your promised gift. My email address is: terence65@gmail.com

Thank you for helping me with a great cause!

No comments: