Thursday, May 30, 2013


Things!



Packing is never easy. First, it is amazing how much we accumulate in daily life. Second, how much you break during the move. Finally, the part of pulling up relational roots from one pace to plant them in another.

Having traveled as much as we have these last 20 years, we have added to our 'things' many times. Some of them have great memories, others were impulse buys. Either way, over the years they have added up to a houseful.

I do not think we have ever moved without breaking something. As well as I pack, something breaks. Pictures, vases, chairs. You name it, we broke it. Although I understand the strong possibility of breaking something during this next move and prepare as I will, history tells me, something will break. That is life.

As much as we may value things, the greatest challenge in moving is the pulling up relational roots. You would think Jill and I would be professional at this with 20 years of missions life in various parts of the world. At best, every fifth year we leave our work and friends of another country and return home to visit churches, pastors, friends and family who make this journey possible. However, it is always difficult. Friends are friends. Leaving is difficult.

For the past two years, Jill and I have called Springfield, MO our home. Although most of our time was overseas teaching pastors, Springfield became our home.  During this time, we attended faithfully a local church, volunteered at different community events, had many guests to our house for dinner, became friends with a number of our neighbors and had them over to our home for desert.

People like Pastor Jeff and Carla, Bill and Debbie, Tim and Jody and many others became the relational roots of these 24 months.  Next week, we pull those relational roots and move back to Idaho to begin our one year furlough.

During the next year, we will meet new people, renew friendships like my next door neighbors, Jerry and Linda and spend time with family. It will be wonderful. Once our budget is raised, within the next 18 months, God willing, we will again pull up roots and head back overseas.

Our life is unique!

There are two ways to look at this.  The first, the more worldly way I think, is to say, "Poor me. I have to give up my friendships and things to do what I am called to do."  However, the second possibility is so much better, Jill and I have been blessed to befriend people all around the world.  Some of them have had a profound impact on our lives like Pastor Jeff.  Others, we have impacted.

Having moved as much as I have, even with the loss of "things" that break, I would not change it for anything in the world.  We have been so blessed by God and all across the lands we have lived in we see spiritual fruit that will last forever.  How can you compare that with any piece of furniture?

To conclude this post, I want to say a special Thank you to the many people who have crossed our path over these many moves.  I also want to thank The Lord for His call that has given Jill and I this unique journey.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you break something ? :D just kidding! so thankful to make this journey with such an amazing man of God!! Love ya!