Monday, June 24, 2013

Bloodied, bruised but not broken

It has been said, when you fall down, get back up. Although I agree with that statement, it is easier said than done!

While peddling in top gear at close to 20 miles per hour on my bicycle today, I crashed. Not just a simple little fall type crash. This was a 'fly-over-handle-bars-see-life-pass-by' type crash. What actually caused this boy-meets-road crash I honestly do not remember. Two things that play over and over in my mind are, (1) this is going to hurt, and (2) I am so glad I have a helmet on. Yes it did hurt and the helmet was a life saver.

The result of this head-over heals splash on cement: three bloody gashes in my left hand (yes, the one I fell on in my first crash five days ago), bruised left elbow, banged up left shoulder and crushed ego. However, all of them will heal in time. Ten minutes after the bandages were placed and pack reset, I was of to finish the final seven miles of our 70 mile ride for today. When you fall down, you get back up.

For the balance of the ride, I though a lot about falling over. Over the next few miles I begin to look at it in a more spiritual way. As we journey through life, the Bible tells us we are in a race. One thing for sure, many runners or racers fall down in their races. It is part of the challenge. In our Christian race, we also fall down at times. I am not talking about sin here but rather those times when we are wrongly accused, lied about, insulted or betrayed. It is during those events we at times ask ourselves the question, "Why do I even try". Or, " If they don't care, I shoulden't either". That is the moment we make a decision to get up and run some more or quit. To many have quit.

I guess that is the main reason why I got up today from a terrible fall and got back on my bike, I did not begin this journey to quit. Nor do I begin my faith journey to quit. So, here is my advice, keep getting back up as many times as you need to. Sooner or later your race will end. I want to end well, even with the bruises from the ride.

Keep running, the end may be closer than you think!

Safe travels,


No comments: