Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It is the little things that really hurt

Six flat bicycle tires in six days! I am pretty sure that is not a world record or anything like that, but still, you have to scratch your head and say, "How"?  That is what I keep asking myself as I make this  long bicycle trip across three states to kick off our missions furlough.

One would think, it is the big things that cause all those flats. Right? Things like a chunk of iron here, plank of two-by-four there, or the long lost hubcap of an old Vega next to the roadway. That is what I tried to keep my eye out for throughout this trip. Until last week, believe it or not, I had never even had a flat on a bicycle. Now, not only have I had half-dozen flats, I am being considered for an honorary member of "Professional Tire Changers of America" group!

It has become quite clear to me, the old Vega hubcaps are not the problem. It is the smallest, little things barely visible to the naked eye that are causing my "thorn in the flesh". All six flats are the result of tiny little wires or thorns, each less than 1/32 fo an inch long and the width of a needle. They were small buggers! Yet, it was those little hidden assins that took the wheels out from under me every time.

In looking at the silver lining in this, I learned how to change a bicycle tire. If you need one changed and I am around, call and I will show you my new found ability.

Of course, there seems to be a good spiritual lesson in this as well. In our Christian lives, we keep a sharp look out for the big sins in life. We want to watch out for the adultery, stealing, taking the Lord's name in vain and a few other top ten on the "good Christian's sin watch list". Usually, we are proudly successful with this 'big' sin list. As the old saying goes, "I don't chew or go with girls that do!" We are good at big sin watching. However, maybe that is not where most of our trouble comes from. It is the 'little sin list' that is the greater problem.

This little sin list is not referred to much because it does not play as well in the lights. Almost a second billing and not Main Street worthy. However, the little sin of anger or resentment can cause some fairly large problems. Or try, for example, the little sin of pride. That can really be a whopper as well. Of course, this list is larger than one might think. Besides the three referred to you can add jealousy, I forgiveness, stubbornness, unkindness and cheating at Monopoly (that last one you may question).

Each of these 'little sins' can let the air out of your journey and leaving you watching others go by as you wait for repairs. You may even try to run on the flat for awhile, but everyone will know and the damage will only get worse.

So, here's my suggestion: watch out for the sneaky everyday sins that hurt both you and those around you. Ask Gid to help you notice them before they cause damage. Don't forget about the big ones but be ever watchful for the little ones even more. This will help you 'run the race' with better success.

Happy travels-

No comments: